St. Andrew's Organ
St. Andrew’s is the home of a 3-manual, 46-rank DiGennaro-Hart pipe organ that was completed in August 2011.
Through the efforts of our organ builder, Michael Hart, St. Andrew’s was fortunate to acquire an existing instrument, Reuter 1355, from St. John’s Episcopal Church, Norwood Parish, Silver Spring, MD, which was being removed due to a nave renovation and being replaced by an instrument specifically designed for their reconfigured space. That organ served as the foundation of our instrument, enabling St. Andrew’s to have a larger and more versatile instrument than it would have been able to afford had the organ been all new. Michael and Larry Trupiano, our tonal designer, significantly revised the specification of that organ by removing ranks of pipes that did not conform with their tonal concept, relocating other ranks into new divisions, and adding new ranks and a handful of digital voices to create a stoplist that is designed for St. Andrew’s liturgical needs while also serving as a fine solo/concert instrument. All existing pipes that were reused were cleaned and individually revoiced for their optimal sound in our acoustical environment, reused windchests were restored, new windchests were added, and an entirely new console, with new keyboards and a new solid-state memory and combination action, was built in the beautiful oak shell of an older console acquired for this purpose. The layout of the instrument was ingeniously designed to get a rather large parish organ into the least amount of space, respecting St. Andrew’s desire to maintain as much seating as possible.
Michael Hart is know throughout the Washington, D.C., metropolitan area for the quality of his work as a builder, restorer and curator of organs. Notable examples of his work are the organs at St. Alban’s Episcopal Church on the close of Washington Cathedral and St. John’s Episcopal Church, McLean, Virginia; the restoration of the organs in the Bethlehem Chapel and at the College of Preachers at Washington Cathedral; and his curatorship of the organ at National Presbyterian Church.
Lawrence (Larry) Trupiano is a principal in the firm of Mann & Trupiano in Brooklyn, NY. He is the curator of the organs at St. Thomas Church, Fifth Avenue, and St. Mary the Virgin in New York City. He also restored an 1830 organ built by Thomas Appleton of Boston, MA, which is now in the Metropolitan Museum of Art. He was in charge of restoring the organ of St. Paul’s Chapel, Wall Street, which, being virtually at Ground Zero, was seriously damaged in the attacks of September 11, 2001; the restored instrument was played for the first time on Easter Sunday, 2009.
Samuel Hughes, our reed restorer and revoicer, is probably the most highly regarded specialist in organ reed pipes (such as trumpets, oboes, and clarinets) on the East Coast and possibly the entire country. Before undertaking the cleaning, restoring and revoicing of the reeds in the St. Andrew’s organ, he did the same work on the reeds of the immense Wanamaker organ in Philadelphia, PA.