Since 1999, the St. Andrew’s parish has sponsored a week long community service trip for the teens of our parish. Workcamp provides the opportunity for teens to learn about serving God by serving families in need through home repair projects in various communities located in the eastern United States. Learn more here: Group Mission Trips.
In 2018, St. Andrew’s Workcampers will be traveling to Uniontown, PA from July 21st – 28th.
Who can attend Workcamp?
- Anyone 14 years or older, or at least a rising 9th grader, can attend Workcamp. (Rising 9th graders who are 13 years old can attend Workcamp.)
- Campers that are between the age of 13-20 will attend as youth participants while campers 21 and over will be adult leaders.
- Adult leaders will be either become “crew leaders” and help guide a crew that has been assigned a project for the week, or attend as a member of the Workcamp staff, if these positions are available.
- Relatives and friends of parishioners are also welcome to attend Workcamp with the St. Andrews youth group.
How are Workcamps organized and managed?
- For over 10 years St. Andrew’s has participated in Workcamps organized by Group Mission Trips, a Colorado based Christian organization that plans and manages all of the logistics for a Workcamp event, including food, lodging, spiritual program, home repair supplies, and equipment.
- Group Mission Trips works with local community service organizations to identify disadvantaged families with home repair needs that can be completed by Workcamp participants.
What kind of projects will we do at Workcamp?
- All Workcamp projects are designed for a crew of 6 people (5 teens and 1 adult crew chief) to accomplish in a 4 1/2 day period.
- Projects range from interior and exterior painting, to minor house repairs, to minor construction like building a wheelchair ramp, building a porch, and installing windows, doors, and drywall.
- Crew members are assigned to projects based on their skills (all participates will complete a skill survey before we depart). Inexperienced teens will be assigned to crews that have at least one very experienced crew member on the type of project the crew is assigned.